Thursday, February 21, 2013

Kaua


Kaua
By Nicholas Becher
_____________________

In Hawaii
Even the trees are at war
The wilted leaves of indigenous plants
Collect on the earth
While the western flowers bloom and flourish

They say I'm like a ghost
When I breathe,
And the way my skin
Is always the same shade of white
Frightens them.
So I've been reading,
Studying the Polynesians
Samoans
Tourists
Micronesians
Pidgins
Trying to decipher
Where I fit.
As I walk through a cemetery
In Kaneohe,
A hundred living corpses crawl out of their graves.
They come at me
With haunting ferocity;
Yet I stand my ground.
One in particular,
With sunken eyes
Missing bones
Dripping lips
And brown skin,
Asks if I am of native blood.
I tell him to see for himself
Take a bite
Swallow me whole.
But he says it is futile
And that nowadays,
All blood tastes the same.

In Hawaii
Even the children are at war
Instead of reading and multiplying
Their time is spent deciding
What language to read
And what numbers to multiply.


In the graveyard I am resilient
Treading further into the abyss
As the light from the mountains fades
A glooming fog takes its place
As the ghosts gather in circles
Speaking a distant language.
I reach in my backpack
Pull out my notes
Sit down on a gravestone
Amidst the ghouls
And start to explain myself,
"I've been trying for five years
To learn about the soil
Deep under my feet;
The time and tide of every beach;
The path between islands;
Way finding; Eddie; Kauna;
Relentless hours of studying
And dissecting your heritage.
But no matter how much I read
How much I breathe the island air
Lay on the northern shore
Or gaze into Oahu's
Jaded blue eyes,
I will always be
An imposter.
A fake.
A tourist.
A haole."

In Hawaii
Even the birds are at war
They clip each other’s wings
Forget how to fly
In a last ditch effort
To salvage the scraps on the ground

I am interrupted by a glowing woman
Beautiful in her translucence
But reeking of Sulphur and Ammonia.
She tells me, "It isn't meaningless.
Look at the clouds,
They are white and brilliant
Even in the moonlight;
they are images of our land
Reflected in the sky.
Since you are here,
You are there
With the rest of us."
Then I pictured the clouds
Grey sometimes
Or black
Or pink
Or green
Or blue
Or white
And I shrugged
Because I wasn't convinced.

In Hawaii
Even the streets are at war
Cars sit for hours on loaded freeways
Idling carbon fuels into the atmosphere
While thousands of people scream at themselves
For creating such a giant mess.

"Don't you see?
She asks me to swim with her,
Walk with her
Stare up at the stars with her
Learn all there is to know from her
Fall in love with her.
But she denies me still
I am left broken
Abandoned
Striving to be loved in return.
Because I was not born
In the middle of the sea,
My burning heart
Will never be..."
In the midst of my poem
I see the ghosts disappear
And I realize the real dilemma:
The people here
Think the problem is here
And the people there
Think the problem is there
But not until we realize
That the problem is everywhere
Will we realize what the real problem is
And that it can't be solved at all.

In Hawaii
Everything is at war
Just like the rest of the world

No comments:

Post a Comment